Friday, June 5, 2009

Round Two

Round two of finishing Bobby's jaw surgery was yesterday. It was the most HORRIBLE of the two procedures he has had in the past two days. He was in soooooo much pain, I can't even describe it. I cried for him almost the entire day.

After we got home from yesterday's procedure, I made him drink an Ensure to get something in his stomach. Any nutrition he has must be in liquid form and has to "seep" through his teeth in order to swallow. Once he drank the Ensure, he took his pain meds and went to sleep for about 3 hours.

After waking up (it was late afternoon by this point)....he was doing somewhat better and was ready to have more in his belly. So off to Target I went. I bought things I have never bought before and was clueless about how to do this whole liquid diet.

We made him a strawberry smoothie and he drank chicken noodle soup broth. He then wanted to go outside for some fresh air and watch Ty ride his John Deere. That made me feel a little better (actually seeing Bobby move around). Once I saw him act "a little normal".... my tears started to fade away. I think I just needed to "see" that he was going to be ok. Seeing your husband in so much pain, laying on the bed moaning, crying, and in misery is nothing a wife wants to witness. I just felt so helpless which made me so upset.

He just woke up this morning and said that last night was rough. He didn't sleep much and the pain his really bad in one side of his jaw. I told him it's going to get worse before it gets better....the wires are trying to do their job to fix his breaks. It's not going to feel good by any means.

Thank you to all for your concerns, phone calls, emails, texts, etc. We appreciate it more than you'll ever know. It will be a long 5 weeks- but with your friendships, I know it will be a little more bearable for us to make it through.

P.S.....we get to carry around wire clippers around with us everywhere in case of an emergency (like if he starts choking). I know it doesn't sound like a major ordeal to do that.....but the thought of an emergency like that happening just stresses me out. We have two pairs (one for home and one that I will put in my purse). I plan on buying a 3rd pair that Bobby will carry on him. We examined his wiring last night to see where cuts need to be made in case something should happen. Just makes my stomach hurt thinking about that. I'm sure nothing will happen, but it's something we have to be prepared for just in case.

3 comments:

"The Verhulsts" said...

Thinking about you guys!! We'll pray for a quick recovery for Bobby and for relief of pain. Also, don't fret too much about the wire clippers- without any solid food, he won't have much to choke on;) Take care!
The Verhulsts

Mama's Ramblings said...

I can not imagine what you are going through. I do know what you mean though about seeing your hubby in pain. That is NEVER fun. Especially when it is impossible to PLAN for the worse.

Good job on staying positive for Bobby. I am sure he needs it right now. Just keep taking some deep breaths and know that he is going to be okay.

Ensure is not the best thing in the world to drink, but you will get creative on what to make for him. Maybe this is God's/Bobby's way to make you learn how to cook. :-)

I will call my grandma for you and get you some ideas on what he can eat. My grandpa had to be on a liquid diet for 4 months...she is a pro at making stuff now. The stuff might not taste the best, but at least it is something to give him some energy.

Take care of yourself too!!

Andee said...

Brandi,
I am so sorry! We are thinking about you all. We were on vacation when Derek got Bobby's email about this. He told me about it but we didn't realize how serious it was. I hope Bobby's pain is better. If you need anything, let us know.
Andee & Derek